top of page

What happens when my child becomes an adult?

Individuals with special needs are generally covered by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act from birth until (a) high school graduation with a diploma, or (b) reaching the age of 22, whichever happens first. At that point, the IDEA no longer applies and an individual will need to look to other laws, such as the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, for protection.

NOTE: Long-term planning is critical for any family with an individual who has special needs. Issues such as securing government benefits, setting up special needs trusts, and resolving issues about guardianship should be carefully explored with your attorney.

bottom of page