Some areas that could be affected if waivers are granted pursuant to this provision include a school district's "child find" obligation, procedural timelines, what constitutes a valid IEP meeting, a child's right to a timely IEP meeting and impartial hearing, and compensatory education for this period.
We are writing to emphasize the importance of taking action now to oppose these waivers and speak up about protecting the rights of children with special needs.
You can take action by contacting Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, as well as your representative in the House of Representatives, to tell them to protect the civil rights of children with disabilities.
Your message should state the following:
- No waivers are needed to IDEA (as IDEA already contains significant flexibility)
- Congress needs to provide additional funding to states so that they can meet the needs of students with disabilities during this pandemic.
Below are links for you to follow to contact the appropriate individuals:
- Senator Charles Schumer - https://www.schumer.senate.gov/contact/email-chuck
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand – https://www.gillibrand.senate.gov/contact/email-me
- Find your Representative - https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative