- Genuine collaboration between teachers' unions and city officials to resolve local education issues of dispute not for political reasons but because it is in the best interest of our country to improve the state of education across the nation
- Compelling comparative research on the educational models of other countries ranking high in education, including a thorough review of why those approaches have worked in those countries and whether/how those approaches can be adapted to the U.S.
- Better oversight of the administration of preschool special education services to eliminate fraudulent activity and preserve critical dollars which would otherwise be spent on important services for children with special needs
- Assurance that early intervention providers who have been crucial for the provision of early childhood special education services are not put out of work solely because of economic considersations that would save the city money but seriously jeopardize the development of the children who are meant to benefit from those services
- Aggressive education and campaigning targeted to the issue of childhood obesity to educate children and their parents about maintaining a healthy lifestyle, overhauling school food programs (more than just a few pro forma tweaks to the menu here and there) to help children stay healthy, and increasing the role of meaningful physical activity throughout the school day
- Continued research in the area of autism to better understand the factors that contribute to the birth of a child with autism, to improve the quality of available therapies, services, and medications for those who are most severely impaired, and to move closer to finding an eventual cure if one exists
My mission is to explore how other countries around the world are dealing with education and special education issues.
I would like to visit and observe different types of schools that have proven records of success, wherever those schools may be. I would like to meet with school directors and administrators, government officials, leaders in the business world, and others who are responsible for implementing education systems or otherwise connected to education to learn more about how education is being addressed in their communities.
If you know of any remarkable schools in other parts of the world (especially special needs schools), please let me know about them. If you know of any education experts who are engaged in remarkable work in this field, please introduce me to them.
Please do not hesitate to share your thoughts or ideas regarding the above. Read more about my mission here.