Attention parents and guardians of students who receive yellow bus service: Beginning Wednesday, January 16, there will be a strike by bus drivers who provide school bus services to the majority of NYC's public and non-public school students and school bus service for most or all school-age students is not operating.
This should not impact Early Intervention or pre-K bus services, but there may be some disruption to those services as well. Note: Field trips using yellow bus service are canceled. After-school programs may remain open, but no busing will be provided.
Get information about whether there is disruption on your child's route on this page which will be updated beginning at 7:00 am and throughout the day as needed.
Public Transportation OptionsMetroCards for students: If your child currently uses school bus service to get to school, your child will receive a MetroCard at school.
- Using the subway: You can use the MetroCard beginning Wednesday, January 16.
- Traveling on an MTA bus: You can use the MetroCard beginning Thursday, January 17.
- If your MetroCard does not work, please bring it back to your school so it can be replaced.
- If you have a child in third, fourth, fifth, or sixth grade, and are concerned about your child using the subway or bus alone and you do not have your own MetroCard, request a MetroCard from your child’s school. We will reimburse your fare until you receive the MetroCard. Note: these MetroCards should be available for pick up on Tuesday, January 22.
Private Transportation Options
- Note: Please coordinate transportation with neighbors and classmates whenever possible.
- If you drive your child to school during the strike, you will be reimbursed at a rate of $0.55 per mile. Here are the reimbursement forms.
- If you take your child to school in a taxi or car service, you will be reimbursed for the trip after you submit a reimbursement form along with receipts. Please note that students should be accompanied by an adult when using a taxi or car service. Here are the reimbursement forms.
- Request a New York City wheelchair-accessible taxi for trips originating in Manhattan and ending anywhere in the five boroughs, Westchester and Nassau counties.
- Get a list of Taxi and Limousine Commission licensed bases by borough and by zip code.
Student Attendance and Learning at HomeOur goal is to have minimal disruption to student learning. Students affected by the strike will be excused for up to two hours of delayed travel time. If a student is unable to make it to school due to the strike, educational materials for every grade and core subject are posted here so that students can continue learning at home.
Get answers to frequently asked questions, which will be updated as more information becomes available.