New Mission

New Mission

My mission is to explore how other countries around the world are dealing with education and special education issues.

I would like to visit and observe different types of schools that have proven records of success, wherever those schools may be. I would like to meet with school directors and administrators, government officials, leaders in the business world, and others who are responsible for implementing education systems or otherwise connected to education to learn more about how education is being addressed in their communities.

If you know of any remarkable schools in other parts of the world (especially special needs schools), please let me know about them. If you know of any education experts who are engaged in remarkable work in this field, please introduce me to them.

Please do not hesitate to share your thoughts or ideas regarding the above. Read more about my mission here.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Section 504 Plans

Parents often want to know whether they should get a 504 plan and whether this differs from an IEP.  The first point to keep in mind is that any child with an IEP is automatically protected by Section 504 -- the IEP is a more far-reaching legal document.  For instance, Section 504 allows students with disabilities to obtain accommodations and modifications for their disabilities, but under the IDEA which governs IEP's, any child with an IEP would be entitled to the same accommodations and modifications.  Section 504, unlike the IDEA, does not guarantee an individualized educational program to meet the child's unique needs.  It is just meant to give students the same access to education and school programs/activities as students without disabilities.  Still, a Section 504 plan can serve an important role for individuals with disabilities who do not need special education and would not qualify for IEP's.  The standard for eligibility is that the individual must have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity which can mean any number of activities.  If your child has been unable to obtain an IEP, you should discuss the issue of a 504 plan with your child's school.